Boko Haram Attack: Military, Wawa Emirate Council Impose Curfew, Schools To Remain Shutp

0
128

Following the weekend’s attack but the Boko Haram insurgents on the Wawa Military Cantonment, a curfew has been imposed on the area.

Also, the military, as well as the Emirate Council and the Local Government, have ordered the schools in the area to remain shut.

Street hawking and house-to-house sales had also been banned in the area.

A statement issued by the Emirate Council signed by Muhammad Kabir, Public Relations Officer 1, stated that the curfew would remain till further notice.

It stated: “Reference to the attack of Wawa military Barack by terrorists which was followed by unrest in some of our communities, the Emirate Council conveyed a security meeting today 31/10/2022 (Monday) with the following resolutions.

“There will be a curfew i.e. movement will be allowed from 6. am to 9. pm effective from 9 pm today.

“All major markets be suspended till further notice. But, you can pick your daily needs in the market around you within the time frame.

“House-to-house and street hawking is banned. Every act of buying and selling should be done in the market.

“Cars and motorcycles must obtain their number plates or risk seizure, effective from today 31/10/2022 (Monday).

“All Okada riders must wear their reflective vests for proper identification.

“Security agents are at liberty to act without any form of interference whatsoever.

“However, all of these measures are temporary and are to be reviewed as the situation improves.”

Also, a Notice issued by the Wawa Military Cantonment authorities to the residents stated: “There is no movement at the barracks.

“So, please the barracks children may eventually not come to school till further notice as a result of the incident that occurred at the cantonment.

“The authority suspected that some dangerous weapons are planted on the roads.

“Till proper supervision (investigation) is done to ascertain the safety of the people, there will be no movement.”

CITIZENS VANGUARD gathered that the terrorist struct on Saturday night around 10. pm to release over 2,000 Boko Haram members said to be detained in the barracks cells.

Sources in the area told CITIZENS VANGUARD that there was sporadic shooting by the terrorists, but they were overwhelmed by the combined superior firepower of both the Army and the Air Force.

Eight terrorists were reportedly killed during the encounter, while several of them were seriously injured and captured.

Some others who escaped during the night attack which lasted for several hours were later captured in villages around the Wawa community, while others were also on the run.

CITIZENS VANGUARD could recall that the attack came a few days after the U.S, U.K. and other countries had issued security alerts on their citizens in Nigeria of possible terrorist attacks on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and its environs.

The distance between the FCT, Abuja, Suleija, and Niger State is not much.

Meanwhile, security has been beefed up in the Wawa Emirate, especially in communities around the cantonment, with the military patrolling the area.

Residents also informed that alarms had been going off from time to time since Saturday and that they had remained indoors, only going out to pick up necessities.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here