The Federal Government has frowned at the behaviour of parents enrolling their children and wards for the National Common Entrance Examination(NECO) while underaged.
This is as a total of 72, 831 candidates sat for the 2023 National Common Entrance Examination nationwide, with Lagos State and the Federal Capital Territory FCT recording the highest number of enrolment.
Kebbi state in North East, Nigeria came least in terms of candidates enrolment.
The examination is expected to admit students into 110 Unity Colleges spread across the country.
Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, David Adejoh while monitoring the conduct of the examination at Federal Government Girls College, Bwari on Saturday, hinted that a reform in the way of enrolment might become necessary because there are instances where children less than 10yrs are applying to write the examination.
In criticizing parents, he said the concept of education goes beyond writing and passing examinations, stressing that maturity and intellectual formation were also paramount in children’s educational development.
According to the Permanent Secretary, the ideal age for children to sit for the national common entrance shouldn’t be less than 11-12 years.
He said going forward candidates might be required to present their birth certificates while applying to enable the regulators to screen appropriately.
Meanwhile, NECO Registrar and Chief Executive Officer, Ibrahim Wushishi maintained that female enrolment received a boost this year compelled to last year 2022.
He admitted that logistic challenges which arose in the extension of the examination date, and the eventual upsurge of candidates applying for the examination at the last minute will be looked into in subsequent arrangements.